Trump defends Tucker Carlson after interview with white nationalist splits Republican Party

https://static.independent.co.uk/2022/11/26/22/Election_2024_Trump_Ye_21914.jpg?width=1200&auto=webp&crop=3%3A2
image

Donald Trump has dismissed concerns surrounding conservative commentator Tucker Carlson’s recent interview with Nick Fuentes, a far-right activist whose antisemitic views have reportedly caused a schism within the Republican Party.

Mr Trump defended Carlson, stating the former Fox News host had “said good things about me over the years”. He added that if Carlson chose to interview Mr Fuentes – whose followers advocate for the preservation of America’s white, Christian identity – then “people have to decide”.

Mr Trump offered no criticism of either Carlson or Mr Fuentes.

Fuentes appeared to appreciate Trump’s sentiment, posting “Thank you Mr. President!” along with video of his interaction with reporters.

Carlson had an amiable sit-down on his podcast last month with Fuentes that touched off a controversy among conservatives. It roiled the Heritage Foundation, where the president of the right-wing think tank defended Carlson for his interview, drawing outrage from staffers.

Heritage President Kevin Roberts later denounced Fuentes’ views.

Kanye poses in Swastika chain with Nick Fuentes (Kanye West)

Trump told reporters as he prepared to fly back to Washington from a weekend in Florida that when it comes to Carlson, “You can’t tell him who to interview.”

“If he wants to interview Nick Fuentes, I don’t know much about him, but if he wants to do it, get the word out,” Trump said. “People have to decide.”

Trump a few minutes later added, “Meeting people, talking to people for somebody like Tucker — that’s what they do. You know, people are controversial.”

The president then said: “I’m not controversial, so I like it that way.”

It’s not the first time Trump has been asked about Fuentes. Three years ago, he hosted Fuentes at a dinner at his Mar-a-Lago resort, along with the rapper Ye, formerly known as Kanye West.

Trump at the time said he had not previously met Fuentes and “knew nothing about” him.

Fuentes’ visit to Trump’s estate was condemned by numerous Republicans, including former Vice President Mike Pence, who said it was wrong for Trump “to give a white nationalist, an antisemite and Holocaust denier, a seat at the table.”

White supremacist Nick Fuentes, (AFP via Getty Images)

Trump said Sunday that he didn’t know Fuentes at the time and that he didn’t know he was coming with Ye.

Trump’s defense of Carlson’s interview comes as he has used his second-term administration to crack down on colleges and universities over what his administration claims is a tolerance of antisemitic views during protests over the Israel-Hamas war.

Carlson has been critical of U.S. support for Israel in that war and has come under fire for his own far-right views, including the white-supremacist theory that says whites are being “replaced” by people of color.