MSP denies hiding camera in Scottish Parliament toilets

https://static.independent.co.uk/2025/08/29/18/1c12b0fa327b921039499c33c6ede531Y29udGVudHNlYXJjaGFwaSwxNzU2NTcyNDM5-2.80184324.jpg?width=1200&auto=webp&crop=3%3A2
image

Suspended Labour MSP Colin Smyth has denied allegations he placed a secret camera in toilets inside the Scottish Parliament.

The PA news agency understands that Smyth has been charged by the police in relation to the allegation, which was first reported in the Daily Record.

The South Scotland MSP was arrested on Tuesday, August 5, and charged with a separate offence of possession of indecent images, prompting his suspension from Scottish Labour.

His Holyrood pass was deactivated on Thursday.

On Friday, Smyth said he was “fully co-operating” with the investigation but said the decision by the police to release further information and his home address had been “devastating”.

He said: “This allegation has come as an utter shock and one I strongly refute.

“For legal reasons, I can’t respond to specific matters or speculation, and I appreciate there is a process to go through which I am, of course, fully co-operating with. But I sincerely hope it can be concluded quickly and fairly.

“The speculation, and the recent decision by the police to publicly release details of their ongoing inquiries along with my home address has been devastating and has taken a serious toll on my health.

“After my address was published with no warning to my family, I felt I had no choice but to move away to protect them. That has also meant losing the local NHS critical support I had been receiving for the past few weeks, making an already difficult time even more distressing.

“I would therefore ask that the privacy of myself, but above all my family and friends, is respected while this matter is resolved. Having this hanging over them is especially overwhelming.”

His statement comes after the Scottish Parliament presiding officer confirmed that Police Scotland had conducted a sweep of the building following the allegations and “no covert recording devices have been found”.

Presiding officer Alison Johnstone wrote: “We can confirm that Police Scotland, with our support, have conducted a full sweep of all toilets and changing rooms in our building and that no covert recording devices have been found.

“We have also instructed that enhanced additional checks to our existing security sweeps of the building take place going forward.”

A Scottish Parliament spokesperson has said that given the ongoing criminal investigation, the Scottish Parliamentary Corporate Body (SPCB) “took the decision this evening to deactivate Colin Smyth’s parliamentary pass”.

David McGill, the Parliament’s chief executive, emailed MSPs to let them know of the decision.

He said: “We recognise the nature of the criminal charges and the ongoing investigation may be upsetting for colleagues and cause distress.

“We would therefore like to remind everyone who works at Holyrood or in constituency offices of the confidential support services that are available.”

Smyth was first elected as an MSP in 2016 and returned to Holyrood again at the 2021 election.

The Scottish Parliament website now lists him as an Independent.

A spokesperson for Police Scotland said: “On Tuesday, August 5 2025, officers executed a warrant at a property on Marchfield Avenue, Dumfries.

“A 52-year-old man was arrested and charged in connection with possession of indecent images. He is due to appear at Dumfries Sheriff Court at a later date.”

A Scottish Labour Party spokesperson said: “Swift action was taken after we became aware of these serious allegations. Colin Smyth MSP is an Independent MSP.

“We cannot comment further on these deeply concerning developments while legal proceedings are ongoing.”

It is understood the MSP was administratively suspended by Labour after the party became aware of the police investigation.

Smyth released a statement last week, saying: “These events have come as a shock and this is a deeply stressful time.

“I am obviously co-operating fully with any inquiries and hope the matter can be resolved quickly.

“I am not able to comment further at this stage, and in the meantime I would ask for the privacy of my family and friends to be respected.”

A spokesperson for the Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service said: “A  standard prosecution report has been received by the Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service from Police Scotland in relation to a 52-year-old man.”